Tuesday, February 26, 2013

a dash oregano...

As the temperatures drop some people crave homemade soups or a heaping bowl of chili with a side of cornbread. I crave my Nonna's Pomodoro sauce. Pomodoro sauce, or "red sauce" is the Italians form of gravy, we put it on everything. From pasta, to rice, even on toasted bread, its my favorite. My mother is not the best chef although she tries, her ADHD gets the best of her and she finds herself doing other things instead of watching the pasta pot. Now I know where I get my ADHD (I'll save that for another post). I have taken matters into my own hands to get my family's recipe for our favorite red sauce concoction. This recipe is my own comfort food, I love the smell, the way the red sauce bubbles, and smile it brings upon my face. Here is a dash of my heritage:

"Nonna's Pasta Sauce"
 what you'll need:
  • 2 vine ripe tomatoes-chopped
  • 1 can of tomato paste
  • 1/2 lb. of ground turkey, beef, or chicken
  • 1 white onion
  • 1 garlic clove-minced
  • olive oil
  • a dash oregano
  • a dash parsley
  • 3-4 chopped basil leaves
  • 1 sprig rosemary
  • salt and pepper to taste
In a smaller heated pan add the meat of your choice and begin to brown it. Drain any fat from the pan and set aside. In a separate large heated pan begin to carmelize your onion and minced in your drizzled oil. Once the onion and garlic are perfectly caramelized, add your chopped tomatoes and the can of tomato paste. Fill the empty can of tomato past with water and add that to your pan. Stir in the browned meat. Add your sprig of rosemary, and the rest of your Italian spices. Let this simmer for 2 hours, the longer the better. Serve over any pasta dish accompanied with a heaping mound of fresh grated Parmesan.
Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe out. I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already hungry, so this recipe sounds even more amazing.

    ReplyDelete